Table of Contents
- What you will need.
- Step 1: Exporting/importing mySQL database
- Step 2: Changing your settings and cookies
- Step 3: Uploading your plugins
- Step 4: Uploading updated files
- Step 5: Updating HTML and CSS (including links)
- Step 6: Redirect previous domain*
- Problems you might encounter
What You Will Need
In order to complete this tutorial you will need:
- Access to both domains via internet
- FTP access to both domains
- Access to phpmyAdmin
- Administrative access to both your MyBB boards
- *This tutorial assumes that you have already installed a clear copy on MyBB on your new domain*
Using phpmyAdmin, export your database by clicking on the export link, and save the .sql document to your computer. Access the admin control panel of your new MyBB forum
Download your settings.php file found at …/inc/ and edit the cookie paths and domains found therein to match your new domain. You MUST go into the Admin control panel and change the cookie settings there as well.
If you don’t have the files available, find all your installed plugins from your previous domain on http://mods.mybb.com. Once you have done so, upload all plugins files and activate all plugins on your new domain. On the bright side, if you use the Page Manager or XThreads plugins, all your data will have transferred. No need to recreate all your pages! I can’t speak for other plugins, but Iès imagine this to be true universally.
If your past domain is to remain active, you can set this one to redirect to the new domain. I would strongly suggest you keep the previous files and previous installation of MyBB for an appropriate length of time in case there are problems with the coding. I would also strongly suggest you disable registrations on the previous site.
Problems you may encounter
Once you complete all these steps, if you have login or log off problems, check that your cookie settings are properly directed to the new domain. If this doesn’t work, empty your browser’s cache and cookies and try again.